I think the thing to remember is that you can bake in anything. Small Fry is actually a great pan to bake in because it's got excellent heat conduction and a nonstick surface. And because the handle looks elegant, it's proper to put it out on a table and serve directly from it. It has a very similar effect to cast iron when you fill it with fruit and a crumble topping, along with ice cream on top, and drop it on the table.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Slice the apples (I leave the skins on) and toss with a splash of Calvados and a pinch of sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until pale in color and doubled in volume, then stir in the Calvados and brown butter.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
- Butter the Small Fry and pour in the batter. Lay the apple slices on top.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with sugar and serve with ice cream or custard.