- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter and flour one Breadwinner loaf pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a two-cup measuring cup, whisk together the sour cream and the milk.
With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Add the egg, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in the vanilla.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the sour cream mixture to the egg mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Transfer the batter to Breadwinner and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the top with a generous amount of sanding sugar.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 1 hour, then remove the cake from the pan to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the caramel. In Saucy, bring the cream, cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the tea bags. Set aside and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain the cream and discard the solids. You should now have 1/2 cup spiced heavy cream.
- Sprinkle the sugar in an even layer over the bottom of Deep Cut.
- Heat the pan over medium-high heat, without stirring (although you can gently swirl the pan, if necessary) until the caramel is medium amber in color, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the butter, stirring constantly, then carefully add the cream. Be careful: It will steam and sputter. Add a pinch of salt.
- Cook for another minute or two, stirring, until the caramel is smooth and has thickened slightly. (It will continue to thicken as it cools.)
- Serve slices of cake with a dollop of cream and a drizzle of caramel.