1. Peel and core apples and pears, cut into ½ chunks and slices, add sugar, mix to coat fruit, and let sit for 2 hours. Meanwhile, prepare the pie crust (we used store-bought).
2. After the sugar has dissolved in the fruit, strain the mixture, collecting the syrup in a bowl. Pour the syrup into a saucepan and reduce at medium heat, until bubbles subside and the syrup barely starts to caramelize.
3. Take off heat and add butter. Swirl to melt the butter into the caramel. Let cool slightly and pour over the fruit mixture. The caramel may seize, that's okay! Pull apart into chunks to disperse throughout the fruit mixture (it will melt in cooking).
4. Remove cardamom seeds from pods and crush in a mortar and pestle. Add to the fruit mixture, along with the cinnamon, the zest of 1 orange, apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 cup flour.
5. Roll the bottom crust into Sweetie Pie. Freeze bottom crust for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the freezer and pour in the fruit mixture. Roll out the top crust. Lay the top crust over the fruit mixture. Crimp edges and seal. Cut slits in the top of the crust.
6. Freeze again for 15 minutes. Or while the oven heats. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
7. Bake the pie for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375°F and cover the edges of the pie with foil. Bake for another 45 minutes or so or until the top is bubbling and the pie sounds like it's purring. Test doneness by sliding a sharp knife into the top; if there is resistance, the fruit is underdone. Cook for 10 minutes more if so.