Year in, year out, no matter the weather, this pie is one of the biggest sellers at Petee’s. It gets a deep chocolate flavor from cocoa powder and dark chocolate, which is beautifully complemented by the sea salt. This recipe is amazingly decadent.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Heat the butter over medium heat in Saucy just until it melts, then turn off the heat.
- Whisk in the chocolate and cocoa until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cornmeal, and salt. Whisk in the eggs and egg yolk.
- Whisk in the buttermilk, cream, and vanilla until smooth. Add the chocolate mixture and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Prep the crust in Sweetie Pie, and then place the dish on Holy Sheet. Pour in the filling, making sure to scrape the entire contents from the sides of the bowl into the pie.
- Use a crust protector, or gently wrap foil around the crimped edge, to prevent overbaking. Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and rotate the pie. Bake for 30 minutes more, or until the center of the pie has puffed up.
- Transfer the pie to a cooling rack and allow to cool for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature. The pie will keep for one week (or even longer) at room temperature — but I doubt it will last that long.